Cookies And Cream Ice Cream
I know it's again an ice cream recipe!!! I am fully utilizing the ice cream maker I got last year. And these ice creams are vanishing rapidly on these hot sunny days. No matter if it's in Popsicle form or tub ice cream, kids love it. I made a Popsicle batch with this recipe and the second batch I stored in containers and served them in waffle bowls and cones. My kids loved them with warm chocolate syrup on it. It is the creamiest ice cream I ever made. I wanted the Cookies and Cream ice cream to be creamier as possible, so I decided to use the custard base and altered my real fruit ice cream recipe a bit here and there to get the texture I was looking for.
After making the first batch of popsicle in the morning, I had one family who came over in the evening to say hi after dinner. I thought to share the popsicles with them and I was shocked to see only 2 of them left when I opened the freezer. I had no other option than to share the 2 popsicles with them. I got raving comments and I was so glad that I decided to share what I had.
I don't claim this to be low fat recipe, but it is not too sweet either. So it kind of balances. After all, its homemade and you know exactly what goes in there. To be guilt free, I serve them in small waffle cones, so that I know I am indulging my craving for a dessert with smaller quantity. I insist that you try this recipe and I am sure you will fall for it!!!
2 cups - whipping cream
2 cups - half and half
4 - egg yolks
1 cup - sugar
1/2 tsp - salt
1 tsp - vanilla extract
1/3 cup - crushed Oreos without cream
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, mix whipping cream, half & half, sugar and salt and bring to simmer.
- Take 1 cup of the above cream and half & half mixture and pour into the egg yolk mixture by whisking continuosly. The egg mixture is warm enough now. Pour the egg mixture back into the sauce pan.
- Cook the mixture for 15 - 20 minutes by stirring continuosly on medium heat till the cream egg mixture thicken and coats on the back of the spoon when taken out. Turn off the burner.
- Add vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pour the custurd through a fine mesh sieve to remove any coagulated egg.
- Cover the custurd and refrigerate over night.
- Make the ice cream according to the ice cream maker's instruction. Add the crushed Oreos towards the last few minutes of the churning process into the ice cream.
- Enjoy them fresh or store them in air tight container in the freezer.
- Use crushed Oreos or chocolate syrup as topping before serving.