Shrimp Coconut Stir fry/ Shrimp Peera
I usually don't like the shrimp that we get here when compared to the one we get back home. They taste so different. The small salad shrimps taste somewhat closer to what we get in Kerala. I love them in Kerala style Shrimp stir fry with coconut/Shrimp Peera. Shrimp Peera is so easy to prepare. Just mix everything together in an earthen pot and slow cook for 15-20 minutes. And its ready to be served with some steaming hot rice!
10 oz - tiny salad shrimp
2 cups - fresh/frozen grated coconut
8 - garlic cloves chopped
1 inch - ginger chopped
6 - green chili/birds eye chili
1 cup - chopped shallots/ onion
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
1/8 tsp - fenugreek powder
1 piece - fish tamarind
1/2 cup - water
2 sprigs - fresh curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp - coconut oil
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water till it becomes soft.
- Mix coconut, onions, chili, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder and salt to a earthen pot/Chatti and mix well.
- Add the shrimp, fenugreek powder, curry leaves, tamarind and the water.
- Cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add coconut oil and curry leaves.
- Enjoy it with some steaming hot rice!