Spicy Lamb Chops
Lamb chops were never my favorite till I tried it at a restaurant when I visited by brother and family in TX. They took us to this place where people wait in long lines to get into the restaurant. Not only the food was awesome, but the spicy lamb chops were exquisite. Since then, I have been experimenting to recreate the same lamb chops that is spicy, delicious as well as juicy. This is the recipe that was approved by my family.
Its a tradition in my family for the last couple of years to prepare spicy lamb chops for Christmas or New year. My family look forward for the lamb chops during this time. I usually double or triple the recipe, as it is a high demanded item in the family.
Hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
I am using the standard measuring spoons to measure all these ingredients.
10 - lamb chops
For the marinade
1 tsp - ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
1 tsp - Kashmiri chili powder
1/2 tsp - ground pepper
1/2 tsp - coriander powder
1 tsp - cumin powder
1 tsp - chili flakes
1/2 tsp - garam masala
1 tsp - salt
2 tbsp - vinegar
2 tbsp - thick yogurt
1 tsp - mustard paste (Dijon mustard)
2 tbsp - oil
- Add 2 tbsp of vinegar to some cold water (enough to cover the pieces) and dip the lamb chops in the water and leave for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drain the water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix all the ingredients under marinade in a non reactive big bowl. Marinate the lamb chops well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat a cast iron pan with 2 tbsp of oil. Arrange the lamb chops on a single layer and cook them on low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, or till inside reaches 165 F.
- Enjoy them warm with some lemon rice and a side of fresh cut salad.
- Make sure to wash the lamb chops with vinegar water to remove the smell.
- Don't skip mustard paste in this recipe, as this tenderizes the meat.
- Make sure not to over cook the lamb chops. Otherwise the meat will get tough and rubbery. Cooking 3-4 minutes on each side on low to medium heat should result in a juicy lamb chops.